A recipe and easy to follow guide to help you recreate some simple French cooking at home.
This dish is a reflection of the simplicity of French cooking, a step-by-step guide to making a memorable and high quality dish at home. Therefore, whatever your cooking standard, this one pan dish will have your guests purring at your prowess in the kitchen; or outdoors on a beautiful summer evening; purely because cooking should be varied and above all…fun.
This meal is simple French cooking at its best, a one pan dish easily re-created at home, so you spend less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying.
Last summer, myself and my now wife Jodi, spent a few weeks driving from the North to the South of France. Purely because we were in search of culinary adventure, for simple French cooking ideas, because we want to create at home and share. This trip was a complete justification for how France handles its food and wine. Both are a national obsession and its hard to find a sub-standard meal and glass of wine anywhere; not that we tried.
Wonderful French Food
When we arrived in the South of France, late in the evening, weary from hours on the road; we made a bee-line for a beach side restaurant and ordered two of the specials on the little chalk board menu brought to all diners. This dish was simply called Porc Spècial, or Special Pork; a dish I have reworked slightly given that we are in the English Riviera at the moment. When cooking, I really want to use local ingredients when cooking because it boosts the local economy and helps producers hugely. In this case, I have replaced white wine for cider and button mushrooms for chestnut. In honour of this dish, holding a special memory as a first meal of a destination often can, we have named this dish Pork Français.
As the meal was served in an efficiently nonchalant French style, I was blown away by the colours on the plate. Upon eating, I was impressed by array of flavours, the simplicity of the meal and it therefore inspired a search for recipes of the same stature, the same level of taste and simplicity; the very inspiration behind this blog.
Simple French Cooking At home
For a step-by-step video guide, to help you recreate this simple French cooking recipe at home (and for many more recipes), please visit our Absolute Foody You Tube Channel. Or click on the content below to see this meal being made.
Pork Français – The Ingredients for this simple French dish
1 x Large handful of Almonds
2 x Pork Steaks or thick cut Pork Chops
Tip – To make this meal serve 4, double the amount of meat and serve with a side dish
2 x Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 And a 1/2 large Onion(s)
6 x Chestnut mushrooms
2 x Generous knobs of butter (salted)
5 x Cloves of Garlic
2 x Pink Lady Apples
200ml of Scrumpy Cider (or use what you can get)
150ml Extra thick cream
Pork Français – The Method
- To make this dish dice the onions, garlic, mushrooms and break up the almonds into smaller pieces.
- Toast the almonds on a dry hot pan (medium heat) and toast until brown and fragrant; taking care not to burn.
- Remove the almonds from the heat and return the pan to the flame, cranking up to a high heat.
- Then add the oil and fry the pork for 4 minutes each side until golden brown and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the butter, allow to melt into foaming deliciousness, adding the onions and garlic.
- Fry onions and garlic until softened then add the mushrooms, frying for a few minutes until softened.
- Then add the cider and bring to the simmer, cranking the heat up if needed. Slice the apples while the cider is heating up.
- Add the apples for a few minutes and then gently stir in the cream, enjoying the luxury of the sauce as it starts to thicken and come together.
- Add the pork to the pan and season well with pepper and a little salt (low sodium 👍)
- Turn the meat and cook in the bubbling sauce for a couple more minutes and bring the bubbling pan to the table and serve.
- Serve with fresh crusty bread, use it to mop up the delicious creamy sauce.
- Add s side of green vegetables if you want to bulk the meal up – Asparagus goes very well with this dish, use some of the almonds and a little lemon and you will have a great side to serve up.
This is an amazing example of what can be achieved with one pan and some simple ingredients.
More One Pan Dishes
For another one pan dish idea please Click Here for an incredible Paella recipe.